Sunday, January 24, 2016

Hawaiian Chicken Teriyaki

I like teriyaki, a lot. In my family we make a version that is ginger heavy and not very sweet. My mom had a Pillsbury cookbook that had a Venison Teriyaki recipe. We used that recipe for beef. Why did we do that? I have no clue. It had a richer flavor to the sauce. This was a saltier Teriyaki.

                        
                                      Hawaiian chicken teriyaki in pot

Later I discovered sweeter teriyakis and the Hawaiian variation, which includes pineapple juice and sometimes pieces of pineapple. I do seem to prefer the sweeter teriyakis, even though I typically made the more savory varieties. The acidity and sweetness from the pineapple cuts through some of the richness of the teriyaki. I have had this in bottled sauce format and I have eaten the dish at restaurants. One of my favorite bottled versions was Sagawa’s. Sagawa’s sauces company was bought out by a bigger company and those sauces are no longer being made.

                         
                            Hawaiian chicken teriyaki with rice plated

Of course when I started cooking again I decided to make a Hawaiian teriyaki dish. I found a recipe online. I made this on August 17, 2015, I made the dish. I substituted honey for sugar. This recipe called for both honey and brown sugar. I increased the honey, but did not know it was not a one for one deal. It is 2/3 the amount of honey to sugar. It turned out too sweet. Plus I expected more acidity from the pineapple. I may need to use fresh. I added more soy sauce to offset the sweetness, but that did not work.

March 4, 2016 I made this again with a few adjustments. Instead of using drinking pineapple juice, I followed the directions and used the juice from canned pineapple I put too much soy sauce in it. Next time I will adjust that back to the original proportions. Other than pare down the soy sauce I was almost right at the sweet spot. I used much less honey the second time.


I served it with jasmine rice and coconut milk braised taro leaves. This is a dish I had heard of years ago. I found a recipe online. Uwajimaya, an Asian super market in Beaverton, sold fresh taro leaves. The recipe called for lemon juice. I may tone that down or remove the lemon juice completely from the dish. It gave it a sour after note. Overall this was much more successful than previously. I am going to try one more time then I will decide what I think about this dish. I think I will be happy on the third try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment