Sunday, January 31, 2016

Pepperoni Pizza

By the beginning of October, I was craving pizza. Not just any pizza, but an ooey gooey double pepperoni with extra cheese. I still was trying to eat healthier. First thing, I did not want a repeat of the vegetable lasagna experiment, so I used a marinara recipe from The Frugal Gourmet Cooks Italian cookbook. Days before I made the pizza, I made the marinara. I froze what I did not use. That marinara lasted till January. 

Everybody in the U.S. has had pizza; my experience is a little different. When I was 19, I came home to Dundee, Oregon for the summer and started working at Ats A Pizza in
Newberg, Oregon. I was a pizza cook and delivery driver. I learned how to hand toss dough and make pizzas. I worked in the Pizza Industry for 4 years, two with Ats A Pizza and two years with an Italian restaurant in Newberg. For the longest time I could not stomach pizza with marinara sauce. I got free pizzas at both jobs. Being broke, I ate a lot of it. 

                          

Due to logistics of my living situation making my own dough was out of the question. I bought Mama Mary’s Thin Crust pizza crusts. There are two per package. I was working to eat healthier, so I went with turkey pepperoni and skim milk mozzarella. On October 3, 2015, I made my first pie. It was everything I wanted in a double pepperoni and extra cheese pizza.

Making it was simple. The ingredients were the crust, olive oil, marinara sauce, turkey pepperoni, skim milk mozzarella, and shaved parmesan. The first pie was a little over cooked on the edges of the crust. Still it gave me the salty melty goodness I so wanted. The second pie was perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment