Monday, January 25, 2016

Pork Chile Verde

When I was younger in Southern California, I would order three things at every Mexican restaurant, preferably in a combination plate. They were a tamale, a chile relleno, and an enchilada. Some places I got more than one of some of them. By the time I was High School, I started straying form that order. Mind you, it is something I like to go back to. I figured there was more to Mexican cuisine than tacos, burritos, enchiladas, tamales, taquitos, tostadas, chimichangas, and chiles rellenos.

                             
                                                Pork chile verde in the pot

During that time I tried the Chile Verde, Chile Colorado, Chorizo con Huevos, Huevos Rancheros, and Carnitas. In college and later I discovered even more: Moles, Pipián, Arroz con Pollo, Arroz con Camarones, Fajitas, Crema, Diablo sauce, Mojo de Ajo, Tacos al Carbon, Tacos al Pastor, Carne Asada, Sopes, Chalupas, Ceviches, Fish Tacos, and so much more. Chile Verde was another dish I would go back to regularly. Funny thing is other than add canned or jarred salsa verde to pork, I never made this from scratch.

On August 21, 2015 I made this dish. I found the recipe on the Food Network’s site. It turned out to be by Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken, The Too Hot Tamales. I own one cookbook by the team, Mexican Cooking for Dummies. Since most of my Mexican cooking was out of the jar, packet, box, or can, I thought I needed some basics. I started roasting the tomatillos and chiles around 6:00 PM, with all the breaks I took, that was too late. The prep took 2 hours, cooking took on hour, and the simmering is 2 to 3 hours. I also had to take a long break after chopping the jalapeños. I did not wear gloves and rubbed my eyes and ended up with chile juice and oils in my eyes. I also made red rice AKA Spanish or Mexican rice.

                               
                                            Pork chile verde in serving vessel 

This was spicier than I thought it would be. I think my Anaheims were actually Hatch or New Mexican green chiles. They are spicier than the Anaheims and they look identical. The store I bought the Anaheims from had both next to each other. I added both the Anaheim/ Hatch chiles and Poblanos, when the recipe called for either or. I served it with beans and rice. I still have yet to make frijoles from scratch. It turned out wonderful. The sourness of the tomatillos and the heat from the various chiles really shone through in this dish. This is definitely in my menu rotation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment