Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Quaker Oats Meatloaf and Irish Colcannon

This is the first recipe write-up where I present more than one recipe. Chicken adobo and Pork adobo were essentially the same recipe, but with different proteins. First is the Quaker Oats meatloaf. I rarely use recipes from various food products any more. This recipe has a long and storied history with me. This is the recipe my mom used. It uses rolled oats as its filler. Some meatloaves use crackers, bread, croutons, or bread crumbs. I like the oat or oatmeal version. Plus with the family wheat issues, it is just a better choice for us.

I started making this in Junior High, which is when most of my longest running recipes started for me. It is a fairly simple recipe. When I was with m ex, Barbara, we made meatloaf in her family’s recipe which used crackers, preferably saltines. So when I decided to make meatloaf again I wanted my old recipe. I made it on July 21, 2015. I glazed it with some catsup and voila my old version was back again.

                                 

When I was trying to find a side dish to got with the meatloaf I wanted a potato dish. I also wanted more vegetables than just potatoes. In my Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook I found Irish colcannon. It combines potatoes with leeks and kale. I had not made this before, and with how popular kale has become as of late, I thought I should give it a try.


I made it with the Quaker Oats meatloaf. I was missing mace, the spice, I found out use 4 times the amount in nutmeg to equal mace. That is also a cheaper way of doing things. All and all this combination was seriously tasty and successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment