Saturday, January 23, 2016

Stuffed Anaheim Chiles

When I was planning the August 2015 menu, I wanted stuffed peppers. However, I am not a big fan of bell peppers. I am as it turns out a huge fan of Anaheim chiles/peppers. They are a mild pepper, but they have a better flavor than bell peppers. I had been talking to my mom over the phone about doing a stuffed Anaheim pepper dish. My mom sent me a slew of online recipes to go through.

I chose one that has Mexican chorizo, onion, and cheese as the stuffing. It also is a baked dish. The Mexican version of stuffed chiles/peppers is chile relleno, stuffed chiles, which is typically the variety that is fried with an egg batter. Typically chile relleno is made from Poblano chiles. I love Poblanos, but I wanted to do something with my beloved Anaheims.

                       

I discovered Anaheims in the early 1990’s. Once again the culprit is my Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook. There is a recipe for Hungarian paprika gravy that is so heavenly. A key ingredient is Anaheim peppers. Anaheims are a milder form of Hatch or New Mexican chiles. Ripened red ones are referred to as California chiles or peppers. When I came back to cooking from scratch I used them a good deal. I put them in salsas chili con carne, soups and stews. I put them in so many different dishes.


On August 13, 2015, I made the recipe I described earlier. It is the Anaheims stuffed with Mexican chorizo, onion, and cheese. It is then smothered in enchilada sauce and cheese then baked. I have a preference for chorizo, Johnsonville’s chorizo. It has a better quality of meat, at least to my understanding. It may not be that spicy. That can be remedied with chipotle powder. My mom, who helped find the recipe, was here to partake. We both loved this dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment