Monday, January 18, 2016

Tamale Pie

This is a dish I learned from my ex, Barbara. It was her maternal grandmother’s dish. It was a Depression era meatless dish. I tried to play with it and elevate it, but other than add a few more vegetables and added two to three garnishes I could not really change it too much.

Barbara had found her grandmother’s cookbook. Of all the recipes this is the one she wanted to make. I am not sure if we ever made it as written. I would like to believe we did it at least once. Me, being me, I think I did add the garnishes even then.

                             

I tried using masa flour, used to make corn tortillas and tamales; it was too dense and dry. I tried adding meat to it, picadillo (Mexican shredded beef). I also added mild canned diced green chiles. I garnish it with enchilada sauce, cheese, and sometimes sour cream or guacamole. With all my experimenting I may add a teaspoon to tablespoon of chipotle powder for added flavor and kick.

July 10, 2015 I made it for the first time since ending that relationship. Funny enough, except for the green chiles and garnishes, I went back to a more original version of the dish. It was a hearty dish, it is basically a cornbread styled dish. I felt trepidations in making it again and presenting it here. I have changed enough of the recipe to have made it my own.

Tamale Pie

¾ cup olive oil
¾ cup milk
1 ¾ cup corn meal
4 eggs
1 can or package of corn
1 can of diced tomatoes
½ teaspoon of salt
1 can of diced mild green chilies
1 small onion diced
1 clove of garlic
I 3-4 oz can of sliced olives

Garnish
Sour cream
¼ lbs of cheese
1 small can of enchilada sauce


Mix eggs, milk oil salt, and corn meal. Then add tomatoes, chilies, garlic, onion, and olives. Pre-heat the oven to 350. Bake for on hour.  Let cool, then plate and top off with enchilada sauce, cheese, and sour cream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment