Monday, February 1, 2016

Tangy Cold Avocado Soup

In the beginning of September I bought two cookbooks on Mexican cuisine. One of the books was Mexican Cooking for Dummies by Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken. I wanted to cook Mexican from scratch, no more pre-packaged sauces. The cookbook is great and it gave me so many ideas and has recipes for things I have never made myself, various sauces and salsas. 

I love avocados. That is not an exaggeration. My childhood home in Oxnard, California had an avocado tree in the backyard that yielded fruit 3 to 4 times a year. It sat above the septic tank, so it was huge. It also produced softball sized fruit, or at lease larger than any you can find in the Pacific Northwest. I grew up eating them plain, plain with salt, plain with mayonnaise or Miracle Whip, in guacamole, and as a garnish on various dishes. I ate tons of guacamole, to this day it is my favorite condiment.

                             

One time my mother was sick when I was 15 in the early 1980’s and my Grandma Mac came to help. At the time we had two American Cocker Spaniels. They loved the avocados. They were also very smart and they would pick the low lying fruit by jumping. They then would cover the fruit with leaves in a small area between the backyard cinder block wall and tool shed. My Grandma Mac saw avocados going to dogs as a waste. She lived in Oregon her whole life. Avocados were not that common there for the longest time. When they did get them in Oregon they were not as good as the ones from the family tree. She began a war against the poor dogs. She would raid all the hidey holes for avocados. They were not happy with her one bit.

I found this wonderful recipe in the Mexican Cooking for Dummies cookbook called Tangy Cold Avocado Soup. It is a simple easy recipe. The ingredients are tomatillos, jalapeƱos, lime juice, orange juice, salt, black pepper, avocados, and cold water with scallions or cilantro as a garnish. On October 8, 2015, I made this. It was like guacamole soup. The tanginess from the tomatillos and the sourness from the citrus cut the fattiness of the avocados. I could see garnishing this with crema Mexicana, and tortilla chips as well. If you use Mexican crema do not use the sour variety. I made this again in December 2105. This is definitely in my repertoire.


No comments:

Post a Comment