Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Tortilla Española

Tortilla Española, AKA Spanish Tortilla is different from what most people in the western part of the U.S.A. think of when they hear tortilla. It is not the corn or flour flatbread. It is a variety of pan fried omelet. It usually consists of eggs, red potatoes, onions and garlic. It can be served cold or hot. I have had it both ways.

I was first introduced to this dish while I was going to the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon. I found this wonderful place that did Latin cuisines called Hilda’s Latin American Restaurant. This began my interest in Latin cuisines other than Mexican. I had Guatemalan, Peruvian, and Spanish dishes there. The first dish I tried was the Spanish tortilla. It was a wonderfully flavorful egg dish.

                                
                                                            Take 1

In spring of 2012, I went to La Rambla, a Spanish tapas inspired restaurant in McMinnville, Oregon. It was my first introduction to Spanish chorizo, manchego cheese, piquillo peppers, and papas bravas. I once again had the Tortilla Española. Again the experience was wonderful. There is a version of this recipe in the Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook.

                                                            Take 2

On July 18, 2015, I tried to make my own, using the recipe from the Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook. At the time I only had two frying pans, one small and one large. I tried to make it with the large one. That was a logistical nightmare. It tasted right, but did not hold together. On February 1, 2016, I made this again. I halved the recipe and used my smaller frying pan. Eureka, tt worked wonderfully. The tortilla held its shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment