Sunday, February 14, 2016

10 Layer Salad

This is another family recipe that comes from my Grandma Mac. This is originally called 7 Layer Salad, but when I made this for the first time since coming back to cooking it had 10 layers. There is cooking involved, one needs to cook up the bacon. You could use pre-made bacon bit, but I prefer fresh. The layers can and do vary between who cooks it.

In my mother’s family this is a winter holiday dish. Someone makes it for the family gathering. I was that person for the longest time. I tailored it to the tastes of my ex, my parents, my brother, and my brother’s family. It usually has peas in it, I stopped using those. I added olives.

                         

The typical ingredients are lettuce, cabbage, celery, onions, shredded carrots, peas, sliced black olives, Miracle Whip, sugar, dried minced onion flakes, bell peppers, cheddar cheese, and bacon bits. Grandma Mac added crab (canned, fresh lump, or imitation works) or small salad (or bay) shrimp from time to time. This is another dish I made frequently in the old life. It was perfect in the summer, when cold salads that fill you up are great. You could also use cooked chunks of chicken breast. To make it spicy you could add sriracha or any other hot sauce to the Miracle Whip dressing. Colby and Colby Jack are good alternatives to cheddar.

I made this on December 21, 2015. I did not use enough shrimp. It still was tasty. I purposely chose to make this close to the winter holidays. It brings back a good deal of fond holiday memories to me. This is a great dish and I am glad to share it with everyone.



7 Layer Salad

1 quart or long glass dish
1 head of shredded lettuce fill pan to ¾ to ½ inch thick
1 cup of dice celery
1 green bell pepper sliced
10 oz of frozen green peas
1 purple onion sliced
2 cup of Miracle Whip
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ to 2 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup of bacon bits (diced cooked bacon works too)

Layer the lettuce, celery, bell pepper, peas, and onions in that order. Mix Miracle whip and sugar together. Layer that next then Cheese and bacon. Put in refrigerator and let set 4- 8 hours.

Variations
Lettuce, 1 cup of shredded carrots, peas, 1 cup of shredded purple cabbage, 2 cans of shrimp or crab (both can or imitation works too), Miracle Whip with on 2 Tablespoons of mince/ flaked dry onion and two teaspoons of sugar. Top that off with cheese.

Rick’s Variations
Lettuce, purple cabbage, celery, diced onions, shredded carrots, Miracle Whip with sugar and dried onion flakes, cheese, bacon and 2 cans sliced olives I know this is a nine layer version but I like it. The ten layer version add shrimp and/or crab before dressing (Miracle Whip, sugar & flaked onion).


No comments:

Post a Comment