Thursday, February 11, 2016

Chile Relleno Casserole

Here is a dish that I kept during the cooking hiatus. There are a handful of these. My Seven (or more) Layer Salad, Honey Mustard Chicken, and this were the top of the dishes I made in my old life. It was introduced by my mom in the early 1990’s. I made it in May 2015, September 2015, and in December 2015.

I am very particular about my Chiles Rellenos. Why? After moving to Oregon, I discovered the Oregon Chile Relleno abomination. What is this? Some Mexican restaurants in Oregon make a dish that is a chile stuffed with cheese that has an egg omelet flipped over it that they cover in ranchero sauce and cheese. In Yamhill County there are very few places that make the Chile Relleno I grew up on. Traditionally it is a stuffed Chile pepper (traditionally a poblano, but Anaheims, Hatch chiles, pasillas, and jalapeƱos are used) that is then battered with an egg or corn flour batter. The chile is then fried. The stuffing can be cheese or meat. That cheese depends if you are going traditional or more American. Typical cheeses are queso Chihuahua, queso Oaxaca, asadero, asiago, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Colby, or a blend. The reason I do not get irritated with the Chile Relleno Casserole, is the name says it. It is a casserole using the same flavor profiles as a Chile Relleno.

                         

This casserole is simple and it consists of cheese, mild green chiles, eggs, Bisquick, evaporated milk, and salsa. I also usually add slice black olives. It is what a chile relleno is in casserole form. I can easily see someone roast their own Poblanos or Anaheim chiles, peel them, and use them instead of the canned variety. One could also substitute various Mexican cheeses as well. Salsa choices are also up to the cook, but jarred salsas are the typical desired consistency, like picante sauce, or restaurant style salsas. Other than that you could use red, green, fruit, black bean, or tomato base with roasted corn. Another Idea is to use an enchilada sauce.

I last made this on November 24, 2015. This was near Thanksgiving. I chose this because I wanted a familiar dish for the holiday. This is a comfort food dish for me. It is also easier than frying the standard egg battered chile relleno. I hope you enjoy this as much as I have over the years.



Chile Relleno Casserole

3/4 lb each of Cheddar and Monterrey Jack (or a 1 & 1/2 lbs of Mexican blend or Cheddar Jack Blend)
4-7oz cans of whole Ortega chiles
12 oz can of evaporated milk
1/2 cup of Bisquick
6 eggs
Salsa

Slice chiles open. Layer chiles and cheese in a rectangular casserole dish usually a 9 x13 works. Combine Eggs, milk and Bisquick. Then pour over the chiles and cheese. Preheat oven to 350 Fahrenheit.  Cook for 45 minutes. Remove from oven top with salsa cook for another 10 minutes. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes then serve.

I have been known to put slice black olives on top over the salsa.



No comments:

Post a Comment