Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Gazpacho Mexicano

This is the second recipe I made from 1000 Mexican Recipes by Marge Poore. I had heard of gazpacho. It is a traditional Spanish dish. It is a cold tomato soup. This had a Mexican twist to it with jalapeños and spicy tomato juice plus cilantro and lime as garnishes.

Having grown up with Mexican cuisine, I have been seriously curious about Spanish cuisine, Caribbean cuisines, and Latin American cuisines other than Mexican. I wanted to see what else was out there. With places like Hilda’s in Eugene and Cocina Del Sol in Tualatin I got some exposure.

                          

This dish includes tomatoes, spicy tomato juice, onion, cucumber, celery, salt, red wine vinegar, jalapeños, garlic, and olive oil. I could not find spicy tomato juice, so I used a teaspoon of Valentina’s hot sauce and a ¼ teaspoon of chipotle powder. This dish is also garnished with lime wedges and cilantro.

I first made this on November 19, 2015. This was a wonderfully refreshing dish. It had the right amount of kick and spice. I tried this without the jalapeños, lime, chipotle, Valentina’s hot sauce, and cilantro. I did put in some cumin and paprika. To be true Spanish style I needed to add bread. I did not want to do that due to my working to reduce wheat intake. I made the Mexican version again in December 2015. I love this dish and I will make this again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment