Friday, February 5, 2016

Hungarian Pork Steak with Paprika Gravy and Garlic Mashed Cauliflower

This is actually three different elements put together. It is Hungarian pan-fried pork steak, Hungarian paprika gravy, and garlic mashed cauliflower. The pan-fried pork steak and paprika gravy are from the Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors cookbook. The garlic mashed cauliflower I found online. When I started to cook heavily from the Immigrant Ancestors cookbook in the early to mid 1990’s, I came across this dish. I made it, back then with mashed potatoes.

I loved the paprika gravy. It was the first place I was introduced to Anaheim chile peppers. They are a wonderful mild chile pepper. This gravy is the best. This was also where I first learned of the wonders of Hungarian paprika. It is so good. I grew up using paprika a good deal. The Hungarian varieties have a wonderfully sweet earthy flavor. It is sweeter and richer than the standard American version of paprika.

                           

When I decided to add this to my menu, I was trying to eat lower carbohydrates. In July 2015, I ate too many potato dishes and also ate a cornbread dish. I had eaten a shepherd’s pie with mashed cauliflower and loved it. I started hunting down mashed cauliflower recipes. I found one I liked. It included cream cheese and parmesan cheese.


I had planned to make it in both July 2015 and August 2015. It got bumped both times. I planned to make it in October 2015, it got bumped a third time. On November 6, 2015, I finally made this meal. I learned that next time to use my food processor before using the Vitamix blender for the mashed cauliflower. The mashed cauliflower went quickly and I still had left over pork steaks and gravy. I used rice instead. By the time I ran out of pork, I still had a considerable amount of gravy. Let’s just say, I had meals that were just rice and gravy till the gravy was gone. This is a rich and bright gravy. The Anaheims lift its flavor. The paprika gives it a sweet and earthy flavor. 


Garlic Mashed Cauliflower Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment