Saturday, February 13, 2016

Rick’s Veggie Pizza

In December 2015, I had been continuing my addition of more vegetarian dishes to my diet. I wanted pizza, so I decided to make a vegetable AKA veggie pizza. I still had quarts of my homemade marinara. As to what vegetables, that was the question. Among the vegetables I put on my pizza are spinach, sun dried tomatoes, diced tomatoes, onions, mushrooms (yes, I know actually they are fungi), zucchini, scallions (green onions), bell peppers, and black olives. I decided to go with mushrooms, black olives, pickled jalapeños, and green bell peppers.

On December 4, 2015, I made my Veggie Pizza. I once again used Mama Mary’s thin crust pizza shells. I layered the olive oil, marinara sauce, mozzarella, mushrooms, bell peppers, olives jalapeños, more mozzarella, and parmesan. The amount of veggies led to the first pie being a little soggy on the crust. I cooked it longer on the second pie.

                          

I had been working on my tolerance for spicy, hence why the jalapeños appeared on this pizza. There already was a small amount of red pepper flakes in the sauce. Other possible vegetables are Ortega chiles, roasted Anaheims, roasted poblanos, pepperoncini peppers, banana peppers, cucumbers, and squash blossoms.

I will make a pie like this or use pesto sauce with the Veggies. It is a healthy alternative to the meat heavy pizzas. I have not experimented with creamy garlic sauce as the base sauce for a pizza. I would need to find a recipe I liked. 

No comments:

Post a Comment