Thursday, February 4, 2016

Shoyu Chicken

Shoyu chicken is another family favorite. We were introduced to it in the late 1970’s/early1980’s. Where I my mom found it I do not know. It is a dish found in both Hawaiian and Japanese cuisines. The funniest thing is for the longest time my mom called it Shoe chicken. The spelling varied from Shoe to Shue to Shu. While I was going to Pacific University in Forest Grove Oregon, I had friends from Hawaiian and other Pacific islands. They informed me that it was shoyu chicken. Shoyu is Japanese for soy sauce. 

This is a simple dish and I have made it in every variation possible. I have made it baked, slow cooked, grilled, and braised. Just before I started cooking from scratch I made it for my brother’s family in the slow cooker method. This was in April 2015. We always serve it over rice. For my brother’s family it was made with skinless boneless chicken breasts.

                          

If you go to various Hawaiian plate lunch restaurants you will most assuredly find this on the menu. Part of the reason I was able to befriend many of my Hawaiian and Pacific Islander friends was due to my familiarity wish dishes they grew up on too. The other dishes I knew that my Islander friends were surprised I knew about were Filipino adobo, Filipino pancit, Filipino lumpia, and various Japanese foods including sushi.

October 28, 2015, I made shoyu chicken in my personal style. I cut the meat into chunks, braised it for 30 minutes to an hour, and then thickened the sauce. This is similar to what I do with Filipino adobo. It makes it easier to serve over rice. It was everything I remember gingery, salty and rich.


Shoyu Chicken

1 whole chicken cut up into parts
¾ cup of soy sauce
1 quarter sized piece of ginger crushed
3 cloves of garlic minced
½ cup of honey
1 cup of water


Bring to a boil in a sauce pan the soy sauce, ginger, cloves, garlic, honey, and water. Simmer sauce for 10 minutes.  In a baking pan place the chicken, pour sauce over. Preheat oven to 350. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes turning halfway through cooking time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment