Monday, February 8, 2016

Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Boats

I have vegetarian and vegan friends. Seeing what they eat has helped with a few menu selections. One friend posted this dish on their Facebook page. It looked and sounded delicious. In the past I have had spaghetti squash with marinara sauce, mozzarella, and parmesan. This I thought was similar but using a Mexican cuisine flavor profile.

You bake the spaghetti squash, hollow out the flesh, mix the flesh with other flavors, and return it to the skin. Then you put cheese on top and bake it again. Surprisingly this dish has spinach in it. You do not taste it over the squash, onion, tomatoes, chiles, and so on.

                          

I made this on November 17, 2015. It was delicious. I loved the flavors in this. I did change the recipe some. I used olive oil instead of coconut oil. I also used regular cheddar cheese instead of the goat variety. I could not afford the goat cheese version of cheddar. I could see the addition of pickled jalapeƱos, oregano, and chipotle and/or ancho powder.


Now it turns out there is a traditional Mexican dish very similar called chayotes rellenos. It is chayote squash hollowed out with similar ingredients mix with the flesh the returned to the skin with cheese and baked. After eating and making the spaghetti squash dish, I now want to try the traditional version of the dish. I plan of doing both this recipe again and making the traditional version. 


Spaghetti Squash Enchilada Boats

No comments:

Post a Comment