Saturday, February 6, 2016

Spinach Pesto Pizza

This dish has also been known as Greek pizza. It consists of pizza crust, olive oil, pesto sauce, fresh spinach, sun dried tomatoes, feta cheese, and parmesan cheese (either grated, or shaved, or both). I used to make it or eat versions of it. I made a version of this for my ex and her family early in that relationship. That was the last time I made it until my reconnecting with cooking. Like said in the Pepperoni Pizza write-up, for the longest time I preferred non-marinara pizzas. This was one of those.

I used Mama Mary’s Thin Crust pizza shells for this dish. First you brush a lite coat of olive oil on the pizza shell. Then you add the pesto, spinach, sun dried tomatoes, feta and parmesan in that order. You follow the pizza shell’s directions for cooking.

                         

I made this dish on the week of November 12, 2015. I had planned to make my own pesto, but the cost of fresh basil made it prohibitive. I decided to buy a pre-made version. A friend who is a trained chef told me that is what he does when basil is out of season.
The first pizza was a little lite in spinach and tomatoes. The crust was a little to dark on the edges. I rectified that in the second pie. I put more of both vegetables on that pie. One could put pre-cooked chicken chunks on the pizza, but I was working to lessen my meat intake at the time.

I forgot I how missed making this on my own. Some places do not put enough sun dried tomato or spinach on the pizza. The other thing is most places put pickled artichoke hearts on the pizza. I do not mind them, but they overpower the flavors I want to taste in the dish.



No comments:

Post a Comment