Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Thai Chicken and Lemongrass Soup

This was another recipe from the Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors. My sister-in-law and I had gone through my cookbooks years ago when I first moved back to the family farm. This was a recipe she was very interested in. Certain dynamics made me hesitant to start cooking from scratch, but my health issues made it imperative. I added this on my June 2015 menu. 

My experience with Thai cuisine has been limited to a few local restaurants, some pre-packaged foods by Thai Kitchen and A Taste of Thai. There also were a few places offering Thai peanut chicken burritos or wraps. This would be my first attempt into cooking something from this culture from scratch. There were a number of ingredients I had not worked with before in this dish: galangal root, red curry paste, coconut milk, and Kaffir lime leaves. I went to H-Mart, my closest Asian market, and was able to find everything I needed.

                         

On June 5, 2015 I made this dish. I was hoping to leave most of the aromatics in, but they were not edible. What I mean is they were too hard or tough to chew. I strained them out of the broth. I was amazed on how good this was the richness from the coconut milk with the flavors from the ginger and galangal root were divine. My sister-in-law loved this dish too.

I made this again in October 22, 2015. This time I left the lemongrass, Kaffir Lime leaves, ginger, and galangal root in larger pieces making them easier to remove. I served it this time over jasmine rice. It lasted a little longer this way. Overall it was a success again.


No comments:

Post a Comment